Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Essential Man Library

So I have been talking a little bit on Facebook about how I plan to read through the essential man library. Of course certain friends, I am not going to name any names, but her initials are Kristine Neu, have wondered what type of books may make up this man library. Perhaps she is thinking about titles such as Green Eggs and Ham, or some sports book, but actually, there really is an essential man library. http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/100-must-read-books-the-essential-mans-library/

Ever since a group from Michigan State University was here in the Spring of 2009, and one of the members grabbed by big framing hammer, and said "you have to MAN hammer it", we have had this ongoing joke about MAN things. Like a liter size soda is a MAN soda, or the 2 pound t-bone at Cattleman's is a MAN steak. So, you could see why some friends might give me a difficult time.

Since I took the literature class, and liked some of the short stories we read, I decided to try and find some other classic literature books that I might like, so in my search I stumbled across the library from the art of manliness. It doesn't have the books ranked, so I decided that as I read them, I am going to rank them in the bookcase I am going to keep them in. So far, I have read 4, even though The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was not on the list, it is definitely a MAN book, so I added it to the list. The 4 I have finished, and the way I have them ranked right now are:

The Bible
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Great Gatsby

I didn't care too much for Gatsby, probably because I was forced to read it for class, so it may forever dwell on the bottom of the rankings, but oh well. I am thinking about starting Don Quixote next, after I finish The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from the library, and then read a couple on the nook.

Some other titles I currently have for the MAN library are Frankenstein, The Rough Riders, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, and Moby Dick. Barnes and Noble has this classic series that are priced just right, and they were having a sale for buy 2 get one free, so that was nice. Hopefully most of them are in that style to save a little cash. I could download them for my nook that my mama got me for my birthday (early present, for my textbooks), but I think it is kid of cool to have the actual books in the bookcase all ranked by me once I finish it.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so now I know why there was no post from me. You posted at 4:40 yesterday and I was on my way to the rockies. Got home about 11:35 p.m. and went to bed. Went to more Regis meetings this morning, and then opened up my email when I arrived home (about half hour ago!). But that's all okay, cuz I'm here now!

    Word verification word: gaera Used in sentence: If there was a particular gaera in the United States, it had to be the 1890s, which were labeled the Gay 90s by those who lived through the period.

    Those books in your "man library" are some tought ones -- a really thorough look at a number of classics. I'm really glad that you're a fast reader, cuz it'll pay off. I remember reading Moby Dick when you were probably in middle school. I was doing a summer intensive class at CUDenver, and had to read the entire book between a Tuesday night and Thursday night class. I think I read for 40 of those 48 hours to complete the assignment. Kind of made me NOT like Moby Dick much! Ah, sweet memories!!

    So, I hope the length of this comment makes up for my not having posted in quite as timely a manner as you had wanted me to. Take care, and I'm glad the Nook's working for you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete