Monday, May 17, 2010

Semester Summary

Well, my first semester is winding down. I just have 2 more psychology classes and the door closes on my semester. For those of you who don't know, these classes run a little different than traditional classroom style. We meet once per week in a chat room setting and then the other work is done in the form of papers and discussion board posts. These classes cover the same amount of material as a traditional setting, just without exams and with many more papers and posts, and in a quicker time frame. I guess that is why they call it the accelerated bachelor program. For example, I had literature class meet for 6 chats, did 3 papers and 6 discussion board posts, had to read 2 novels, 10 chapters of understanding poetry, 200 poems, and like 5 chapters of short stories. For this work, I received 4 credits, same as I would have in a traditional setting.

My actual cohort starts in September, when I must visit the campus for a few days to meet my advisor, classmates, and instructors. We will all be together in the online classes for the entire program, and then depending on our general education credits, we may all graduate together as well. I will then do the DCE Colloquy, and then be a DCE (I hope.) :). Depending on the cost of classes, financial aid, and my sanity, I may try and take some general education credits at the same time as the Family Life Education program, to help speed up the process. I am constantly looking for avenues of financial aid, so if you know anything, please let me know. I really hope to not have to pay off student loans for the rest of my life.

As far as the spring semester, I took 5 classes, Communication, College Writing, Contemporary Math, Literature, and Psychology. I have finished 4 of the classes and believe I have received 4 A's as my grades. Psychology will end next wednesday the 26th, and then on June 7th, American History I starts. This covers like the pilgrims through 1877 I think. I saw that American History II is offered starting in September and that covers 1877 to present. I hope to be able to take that class as well, but I have some other things in October that may prevent that. Hopefully it will work out to take it some time.

Thanks for all the prayers and support as I continue on this journey. who knows what will happen or where it will lead, (well, He does), and I will try and keep you all posted as I go.

Oh, one other thing, Erin has like 187654238 different Drury University things, so she wrote me a list of all the Concordia things I need to be equal with her, because I said I was going to get all that stuff, so we will see what the bookstore has when I am on campus and how much room my suitcase has. If you know anyone in the rental car business that would like to give me a discount for when I am in Minnesota, please let me know.

Blessings on your week.

2 comments:

  1. Sophomore! And it's really only 13 Drury things. I counted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, congrats! You have really kicked it up for these classes. You're well on your way, and it's good that no one can call you Freshman anymore, huh??? Love, Mom

    Word verifcation word: Ammint: I ammint as old as my birth certificate says!

    ReplyDelete