Monday, May 10, 2010

Tortilla Training

Erin was messing around with this tortilla maker at the market one day, and our buddy who owns a shop there told her to choose one, so she did, and I got one too. As we were sitting outside enjoying a manzana lift while the group was shopping, I said that we should have Blanca Tovar give us a tortilla lesson when she comes up from Chihuahua City to record the tv program. Genius I tell ya. So this past thursday, we showed up with ingredients and our tortilla machine, and proceeded to get Tortilla 101. I had a pretty good idea how to make them from my years as a chef, but there is something about the way they taste when they are authentic, without preservatives or anything. Know what the secret is? LARD!!!! Tastes so good, and oh so bad for you, but we gotta have it. So we learned little tricks, like how many seconds to wait before pressing it, and how to make sure we can always have fresh tortillas if we want. Overall I would say it was a success. I am going to make some big MAN size tortillas soon for quesadillas, but these were perfect for fajitas and breakfast burritos. I would love to teach you, but I feel this should be kept a secret like the best pizza place, but perhaps Erin will let you in on the secret if you ask her. I would probably make them for you though, just can't give away the special secrets.

All that you need for tortilla goodness

Learning from a pro.

Little balls of dough ready to be rolled out after they rise for a bit under a Wal-Mart bag.

Not bad for Erin's first try.

We had fajitas, chips and homemade guacamole, and Spanish rice for dinner Friday night and breakfast burritos on Saturday morning.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, how did I miss them. I'm practically crying! Thanks for teaching Chris, Blanca. Now I have more foods I can request.

    Word verification word sentence: Hirif: Once I eat some of those Blanca tortillas, I'll hirif all the way back to Colorado cuz I can't take them with me.

    ReplyDelete