Saturday, June 13, 2009

I promise there are stairs in the back

That was the question of the week. I believe this is the first time that we have ever done a second story house. Obviously, there were many questions from the group visiting from my home church, the first being how are we going to get up there. I said that Nelson was building a staircase for us to use, and that he promised it would be done by the time the group arrived.

Nelson is Lupe's son, as many of you know, Lupe passed away suddenly last summer after working with our group, and his death was a big reason that I am now working at the mission. Nelson took over his father's work and we thought it would be a great way to honor Lupe by building an addition for his family.

On Sunday before the service we went and picked up Nelson at Santisma and went to the site so the team could see the layout. Unfortunately, the rest of Nelson's family was preparing dinner at the church, and he had no keys to get in. Since the stairs are out the back door, and surrounded by concrete wall, everyone asked me again about the stairs. I finally said "I PROMISE THERE ARE STAIRS IN THE BACK!!". I guess Erin didn't hear me say that, because about 2 minutes later she came up and asked where the stairs were. By then I was over it, so I asked Nelson to climb up the widowmaker (a homemade ladder that is very unstable and scary, hence the name) and take a picture so I could show everyone that there were stairs. There were.

So, after that, the week was great. Not too hot, lots of breeze, and a great team working to build a house for a family. Enjoy the pics. Hope everyone is doing well.

The infamous stair picture. They were there :)

Teaching mom how to frame "man hammer". She used to love to do the stucco, but we don't do that anymore. She was a great nail pounder by the end of the week.

Erin tried to smuggle an apple across the border and ended up in border jail.


She also learned that you shouldn't stand right under where you are drilling holes.


Dedication to Lupe


Another


There it is, second story glory, of course Erin is all the way up top because she thinks she is a changita (little monkey)even though Karlita says she is a cacahuatita (little peanut) because she is a girl.


Erin leading the roof crew, she actually stayed clean. I am still in disbelief because she gets stuff on her walking through Lowe's or Home Depot.


Karlita. I am kind of fired up because Erin and Kristine have been stealing all my little girls and now they don't even want to talk to me anymore.


Karla and her sister Lizbeth


Almost done, need some windows installed, but they were put in.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, can you remind me again where the stairs are? :)

    Seriously though, I never knew Lupe, but it was such a blessing to be a part of your team honoring his memory like that.

    Oh and thanks for sharing "your" tortillas with everyone on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thing is, we ended up feeling so blessed, because Lupe had been such a blessing in the lives of so many people!

    His granddaughters are amazingly cute! I've been telling everyone about them. Love, Mom

    P.S. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete