Saturday, June 27, 2009

108 people, 6 sites, 1 busy staff

So here is my second blog today, because we finally all have a chance to breathe and get caught up. This past week was great for helping so many in need, however it made things a little rough for the staff to manage everyone. We had 3 groups totaling 58 people at the mission, plus a group from Hastings Minnesota that stayed at UTEP, but worked on our projects. The projects were 2 houses in Juarez, managed by Genaro, and 5 sites in El Paso managed by Erin, Kristine, and myself.

The best part of the week was when Mrs. Ruiz asked if we had anymore Portals of Prayer that she could give to her neighbors. The group that didn't like us had done a little evangelizing in the neighborhood, and it was great that Mrs. Ruiz wanted to share the Gospel with her neighbors.

The week started off a little rough when we had to take off a roof put on by another group that was unsupervised and not quite up to standard, then it rained that night and all the ceiling insulation and drywall that was put up that day was ruined. I think we will make sure all groups are more supervised from now on so we can ensure quality work.

At the end of the week, however, we were able to touch so many families and improve their lives for the better on both sides of the border. Only one group this week, that Genaro is handling, so I will be in the office and taking an inventory of our new mission site, Sin Paredes on Wednesday and Thursday. OH, and going to Pastor Hernandez's house on Monday for lunch. YUM!!!! Have a great week.

Don't have pics of every location right now, but I will get those up soon.

Working on the roof at Mrs. Ruiz house.

Pretty good rain on Monday afternoon, this is the double rainbow after dinner.

DCE Eric from Sandy Utah, with some drywall dust on the face

Erin going over paint colors with Mrs. Velasquez.

Putting some plywood on the front trusses at Ruiz home.

Erin didn't understand how to get electric wire through the wall, so I showed the hole that was drilled and kept my mouth shut. :)

Insulating ceiling at Ruiz home.

West side of home, bathroom and bedroom.

East side of home, 2 bedrooms and bathroom. Mrs. Ruiz had a concrete shell for 4 years that she was trying to build up. Her and her 2 daughters live in a run down trailer, and were so grateful for our help.

Drilling rafters for ceiling electric. Not sure what exactly the hand gesture means, but they made me do it all week.

Taught Erin how to do some electric and other things this week. She really likes learning.

She got fired up at the scrap pile, so she organized it, then got fired up at the tools and organized them too, but I don't want to put too many pics up here or she might hurt me. :)

The old Velasquez trailer that is going to be repossesed, next to the new home built by His servants from YLM.

Some members from Grace in Sandy Utah, and Holy Cross in Jennison Michigan in front of the Ruiz home.

The two bosses, me, and the Ruiz family

I love this video. We needed to fram a wall for the bathroom while leaving plumbing intact and not interfering with door, so we decided to pull up boards on the floor. Erin was all about using her growing muscles to handle it.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah you better keep your mouth shut. I know you have to put the Romex through the holes, I am just oblivious and I didn't see the ones that were already drilled. P.S. that is a pretty awesome video you have there if I don't say so myself. Thanks for letting me know you were videotaping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the video! Also couldn't help but notice how MUCH work there was last week. Glad this one is easier!!

    ReplyDelete