Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Godfather Part II (Kind Of)

You may remember the original godfather blog, but here is kind of a sequel. In Mexican culture, it is common to have many sets of "godparents" for different things. Perhaps it is in sponsoring a bible and candle for a first communion, a pair of shoes for a baby, or even a dress for a quinceanera. When Gaby, who is Panchis daughter from San Lucas in Anapra, asked Erin and I to be the Padrinos (Godparents/sponsors) of the dress for her 15th birthday celebration, we couldn't say no, even though it meant a good financial investment. I learned when my parents sponsored Diana's party that searching out sponsors is common and expected. My parents actually sponsored Gaby's cake.

The service and party were held at San Lucas in Anapra and everything was decorated for the event. There was even a servant event group able to enjoy the festivities as well. We got to see Gaby in her beautiful PINK dress, and had some AMAZING food, but missed the rest of the festivities. Unfortunately, darkness won out on the event. We can't really tell people they have to be out of Mexico by dark, and stay there partying, so as dusk approached, we had to leave. I had told Panchis we had to leave at 8 pm (really it was 8:30, but I wanted to build in some filler time), and because one event starts after another ends, the ceremonial shoe and dress changing, and giving of the last doll by the father, which was supposed to start at 8, didn't begin until 9:35. (A little bird told me). Apparently, I was supposed to receive the old shoes or something, and Panchis was crushed when I told her we had to go, but there was no other choice. I am still beating myself up a little bit because I don't know if I made the right decision basically forcing my parents and Erin to leave the party, but I did. It may have even caused some friction between Panchis and myself, but we will work it out.

What makes me the most sad, was the fact that my parents didn't even get to see the cake they paid for cut, or taste it, but the same bird told me it tasted like any other wedding cake you would have ever ate.

Despite all the setbacks, I am confident it was a wonderful party, and an event Gaby will remember forever. She looked fantastic in her dress, as did Panchis and I am happy I was able to help support such a big event in Gaby's life.

All decorated in white and pink. (Go figure)

Looks nice

The Godparents of the dress with the dress

Panchis, Mom, and I

The ceremony, doesn't the floor look great?

Gaby at the altar

Reaffirming her baptism with Pastor Hernandez

Gaby with Pastors (Hernandez, Heimer, Lozano)

Erin and Luna. Luna is Gaby's niece, and Erin drove her mom to the hospital at like 3 in morning on Memorial Day when she was born. I think there might be a picture of me holding her, but I don't know where it is.

Gaby preparing her niece for her party in 15 years

Sitting by some of her cakes

That is A LOT of cake

2 comments:

  1. Why yes, the floor does look great if I don't say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this, and despite how all cakes taste, it would have been nice to take a bite. Please forgive yourself, Chris -- you made the ONLY decision you could, so it was right, though painful! And I agree with Erin about the floor!!!!

    A Gaby, Panchis, y familia --- por favor, sepan que aunque no pudimos quedar en persona por todas las cosas ceremoniales, estamos siempre honrados ser padrinos. Estuvimos alla con ustedes toda la noche en nuestros pensamientos, oraciones, corazones, almas, y espiritus. Voy a acordar todo lo bueno para siempre! Ojala que les veramos cuando regreso en agosto. Que Dios les bendiga.

    ReplyDelete