Monday, November 16, 2009

The Zoo is closed

Actually, it wasn't closed, but every time someone says let's go to the zoo, I always say "the zoo is closed." I guess I get that from the movie Jerry Maguire. There is one scene where he is talking to the kid and they are going back and forth about stupid facts, then the kid says "let's go to the zoo"and because it is like midnight, Jerry says "the ------- zoo is closed" and it always makes me laugh when he say it. So we were trying to figure out a cheap way to kill a few hours in St. Louis before we left for the conference and Erin said, lets go to the zoo. I said, the zoo is closed. She said no it isn't and then I had to explain it. She hasn't see the movie, so she didn't find it as funny as I did. Anyway, the zoo is free, so that worked out nice. It is a pretty cool zoo too. I would go back. Here are some pics that I took.

This is the only bear that we saw. A couple were hiding and the polar bear recently passed away.

Penguins all running around

Except for these two who took it upon themselves to hit the buffet line early.

Some flamingos

Chimpanzees were having a great time flying around.

This one was having a snack and wouldn't share with anyone

This one actually had a leaf and was doing some housework.

This one was having a salad and kind of supervising the rest of the family making sure they were not causing trouble.

Taking a nap and doing nothing (typical of cats, even the big ones)

Different breed, same result.

I guess some things never change. Cats like to do nothing and sleep. Big or small. Doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong, I like cats, but I prefer dogs.

Mexican Beaded Lizard, one of only two types of poisonous lizards in the world. The Gila Monster is the other. Some say Komodo dragon, but the sign at the zoo said these two and google said the komodo and mexican beaded are like cousins.

Big snake

Giving the turtles a bath, then they went right back in the mud.

There was a monkey sitting in the corner. We figured he must have been in time out for not behaving.

2 comments:

  1. OK now that you explained that, it makes a lot more sense. They tell you if you ride the train that the zoo is actually only closed on Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Yet another reason why it IS very cool zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a really pretty Zoo! I'm a zoo lover, so I think it would be fun. You have an amazing memory -- how do people do lines out of movies they saw 10-15 years ago? Can I have some of that?

    ReplyDelete