Saturday, November 14, 2009

Gateway to the West

One afternoon while we were waiting for our conference to start, Erin and I met up with one of her friends from high school and spent a few hours enjoying the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. This encompasses The Gateway Arch, The Old Courthouse, a museum and 2 movie theaters that are actually under the Arch. The museum is where I learned about Take Me Out To The Ballgame that I wrote about in the last blog.

This blog is going to mostly talk about the Arch. Erin said it was 630 feet high, as well as 630 feet from leg to leg. When we were driving to it, I didn't think it looked that high, so I said it wasn't 630 feet, and then when we got closer, I told her I believed it, but it for sure wasn't 630 feet from leg to leg. She called me Doubting Thomas, which actually is a good nickname for me, so I decided to step it off. If one of my steps is approximately 3 feet, it should have taken me 210 steps from leg to leg. So after 210 steps I was standing just about exactly in the middle of the opposite leg. Adjust a little for smaller or bigger steps, and you get the 630 feet that she was positive it was. Go figure.

Overall it was really cool. The weather was perfect, I told everyone we brought it from El Paso and they owed us, and one lady actually paid up. We were at a country store after the conference in Illinois and I told the cashier I brought the weather and I should get a free muffin, so she asked if I had been there before, I told her no, so she said wait and brought me a blueberry muffin. It was great. Enjoy the pics and look for a few more blogs soon.

Walking up to the arch from the park. That is when I decided it was that tall.

I was still thinking about that distance.

Erin was pondering how high the Mississippi was

Standing under the Arch with the Old Courthouse in the background

I had to hold up the flagpole so the river didn't take it away.

Zoomed in on the observation deck windows

Getting into the little bubble car for the ride to the top. If you know Erin, you will know how small the door is. I had to crawl into it. :)

Erin made sure to point out the elevation

Overlooking the Mississippi into Illinois

Cool shot of the Arch shadow into the river.

Busch Stadium where the Cardinals play

Barge going down the river

Those are people laying in the grass

See, I zoomed in.

See, it really doesn't look like 630 feet.

There was like 12 inches of rain in October (more than we get in a year) and the Mississippi was flowing a little high. This is a sidewalk by the river.

Cool shadow of the Arch in a building when we were heading back to Erin's for my first honest to goodness home cooked (albeit early) Thanksgiving dinner in like 15 years. Thanks Barb. :)

They had some bonnets for sale in the levee mercantile. I wanted Erin to get this pink one for the summer construction season to keep the sun out of her eyes. If you can't find me, she probably hid the body after killing me for putting this picture on here.

5 comments:

  1. congrats on the original post! :-) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Erin in the bonet. See u on Saturday.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. This waas a fun blog, with lots of interesting pictures of St. Louis. I think I'd like to see the arch someday. Maybe we can go to St. Louis and see the Rox play there! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to your blog! Awesome pics of the arch!

    And I love Erin's bonnet. I might have to get one for myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously think it would be perfect for construction. Think about it, it's got a brim so it would keep the sun off my face, but it would also stay on my head if it was windy or if I had to bend over for something. Plus it's just so fashionable. Pretty soon they'll be all the rage.

    ReplyDelete