Thursday, August 27, 2009

Help Wanted, and Needed

So I am sitting here at my desk going over the projects that we have completed this year. Truly amazing how many families and people we have been able to help. You may have read in previous blogs of mine, or Erin's, or Krysia's or whomever about how many people tend to stop by our sites and ask how they can get help as well. This happened with a group from my home church when we were building a house in Juarez, it happens every day when working in Sparks or Horizon City, and now people are even asking those we help about us. They get our nunber and call us telling us about the needs of their dilapadated homes that are leaking water into the baby's room or full of mold spores and falling drywall. I must get at least 2 or 3 phone messages per week from people looking for assistance.

As much as I, and everyone else at the mission would love to rebuild all these wonderful people's homes and lives, we can not do it on our own. After putting together a list of those projects that still need a little finish work, as well as the ones of people who have called for help, also remembering those who came by the sites that haven't called yet, and adding in the one from across the street who called about her leaking roof, and the one from a young man who was on the verge of tears when telling me about his mother's house that burned down, we are looking at 14 projects. This doesn't even include all the needs of the mission congregations, or the mission campus itself, these are just people who have spoke to Erin or myself.

I encourage everyone who reads this blog, I don't know if it is 3 people or 300, but if you have never been on a construction servant event, I pray that you will look for a group to join, and if you have been on an event, I pray you will think about putting together another. Even if it isn't to come to YLM, there are so many people out there with such a great need. Just look at the previous blog pictures, they don't even begin to show how much need there is in the world. Please consider giving a week of your time and a few of your dollars to help so many in need.

If you are intersted in more information, please contact Erin, our servant event coordinator at service@ylm.org.

God's blessings on your fall.

Chris

3 comments:

  1. You are on a roll! Lots of blogs this month -- and this one is SO important. The world is filled with wonderful opportunities to help someone else. When we do that, and open our hearts to let God enter, He fills us with a joy that nothing else can match! I agree with Chris, readers -- if you've never tried something like this, say a prayer, take a deep breath, and go for it!! Blessings, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so good! Literally seconds after I read this one I got an e-mail from a potential group in Michigan. He e-mailed again today and said he has a meeting with the DCE about what I told him this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry I guess Marie was still logged in on my computer ;)

    ReplyDelete