Friday, July 17, 2009

My last house in J-Town

Another week, another trip to a mission site I have never been to. This week took us to San Pedro y San Pablo, the farthest mission site from the campus. It is another home site that is the mission family of Pastor Hernandez and Santisima Trinidad. Pastor calls is Kilometro 33, which means it is 33 kilometers from the border. I thought we would be driving forever, and it is a pretty good drive, but it actually seemed closer to me than I thought it would be. This was my last time working in Juarez with the summer groups, as I will be with groups in Chihuahua City or El Paso for the rest of the summer.

Not only were we working in Juarez, but we had 2 groups stateside. A group led by our winter missionaires, Dave and Paige Rohlf put in a huge effort in remodeling building number 1. Painting, tiling, ceiling work, and new blinds were hung. This building will be used for Sunday school, a pastoral study, the mariachi, and plans are being discussed about a gift shop as well. I went to take some pictures, but it was already locked up, so I will post those as soon as I can get them.

MOST ministries, (Mission Opportunity Short Term) also had a group working in Sparks and Horizon City. A VBS was held in the Sparks community center each morning, the afternoons were spent doing some repairs on home in Sparks, as well as some painting in Horizon City. This group came together from 3 different cities and worked together to have a great week here at the mission. Those photos will follow as well.

I am very excited today as I will be heading to Chihuahua City this evening, where Erin and I will spend a week interpreting for an eyeglass clinic being put on by another MOST Ministries group. We had a breakdown of communication and thought the clinic was to begin tomorrow, but the group actually doesn't arrive until late tomorrow night, so we will try and do some fun touristy stuff tomorrow. Maybe a market and lunch, or some cavern exploring, who knows. Although it is work, it is just extra exciting because we will be in a different city working at another site I have never been to. Enjoy the pictures.

Oh, and I lost a bet with Krysia on the MLB allstar game, so now I have to cook dinner. I would tell you what I am going to make, but I think she reads this blog, so I can't. If you really want to know, you can ask me to email you. Once we get back from Chihuahua, Erin's parents are coming to town and I am barbecuing smoked brisket, smoked porkloin, corn on the cob, macaroni and cheese (not barbecued), and rolls. Sorry you call can't be here, but we will enjoy it for you. :)

The 2 houses in the distance (the tan and the gray) are the actual mission site. We built a house for the mother of the family that lives at the mission, just a couple lots away.

This is the only picture of me working from the whole week, I don't know why, cause I worked a lot. The group only had 4 people at the start of the week, and a joiner on Wednesday, and they gave the record a run for it's money.

Pastor Micah from the group really liked this photo. The window and wall you see was the first time that Erin had laid out a wall with a window, and she did really good. Pretty soon she will be leading house builds on her own.

Growing up in Colorado, I saw a few regular thunderstorm tornados, but here we see dust tornados.

Erin learned about running electric, I forgot to mention the sawdust though.

More sawdust from the drilling.

A couple of coke bottles fell in between the drywall. They are forever part of the house now.

Erin and her awesome safety goggles.

Genesis, Josue, and Me

Me tickling Genesis. She said we could be friends, maybe I can get her to tell Jennifer from last week that I am a good guy and she can be my friend too.

St. Peter from Arlington Heights Illinois.

New shirt at the market. They will have bracelets soon and already have window decals for you car.

2 comments:

  1. Well now I don't know about that but I have learned A LOT since the start of the summer! And I don't think me and sawdust are like me and tar...I don't know how it is possible to drill at that angle and NOT get sawdust all over you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, if I had read this first, I wouldn't have asked you the Facebook question about what you're doing in Chihuahua. It sounds like a fun week for everyone -- wish I could be there. Will Dad and be there in time for that great barbeque? We arrive Tuesday night, the 28th, about dinner hour! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete