Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sweet Sixteen

 I stole this title from the web article because I couldn't think of anything better.  At least I am not just copying the web articles over to the blog as well :).  Trinity Centralia joined us this summer for the 16th trip.  Bert, the leader, always jokes with me that he has to live 4 years longer than my mother, so he can at least tie her for the most annual trips to YLM.

This is a great group.  They bring a lot of skill, and often volunteer to work on their own in an effort to ease the workload of the YLM staff.  Some may have seen this as a bad thing, but it is actually very nice.  They like to get up and be on the road by 5:30 and often work late into the afternoon trying to accomplish as many projects as possible.  This year, they built a house and tiled Pastor Hernandez's office at Santisima Trinidad.  The one sad thing about them working on their own is that I don't get to hang out with them a lot.  They are fun, and I like to hang out with fun people, but at least we had some time at night to joke around and scour the tool shop for that one evasive thing that would really help their project.

The thing that impresses me, after their willingness to serve and help out wherever is the ability of the group members to sleep ANYWHERE!!.  I guess Bert and Judy must work them too hard, or they stay up too late, or maybe both, but as I went through the photos, there were pictures of people napping everywhere.  In the van on the bridge, on the floor of the church, sitting on the couch of the office, in the dirt under the tree at the job site, etc.  I mean anywhere you can imagine, they were sleeping.  I am a big fan of the nap, but I am amazed at their skills.  I hope next year they can teach me their secret, because there are times where I would love a 10 minute power nap, but can't fall asleep.

Thanks to Trinity for another great year, I pray that you continue to receive the support you hope for.

Off to San Antonio today.  YLM has a booth at the National Lutheran Youth Workers Conference.


The cross at Santisma in the early morning


Their first view of the clouds that were painted on "their" sky.  Nice job Erin Mackenzie


Pastor Pepe showing off his new window unit.


Preciosa the wonder dog.  Friendly as can be if you enter the church by legal means, but don't you dare try to climb the fence of come when no one is there.


Beginnings of the tile project


They had to rip up all the tile that was laid the next morning because many were loose, and then scrape up all the mortar.


Oh, you put mortar on this side too!?!?


Second try looks great


Since he didn't have an office, he had to do his work somewhere


Moved back in to his newly tiled office


Why is Judy working and they are watching?


Now everyone is watching Bert work


Long lines for a couple days...


...so Tyson got a part time job


House team




Mad napping skills


Friday afternoon, the team went evangelizing near Santisima, here they are in action.




2 comments:

  1. These pictures are amazing. I have missed being able to come so much this summer, but seeing and hearing about the trip still blesses my heart. Much love for Pastor Hernadez, YLM, Trinity Lutheran Centralia, Chris and Erin and the rest of the staff, and the wonderful they all help.
    Brandon Veller, 1999 and 2011 member

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love seeing Burt's group at work and at rest. They are so good at both!

    ReplyDelete