Sunday, July 22, 2012

RIP Alex

Alex Sullivan was one of the 12 people killed at the movie theater in Aurora early Friday morning.  I knew Alex and his family.  Before my jobs took me to the west coast, when Alex was in Jr. High and High School, I spent  a lot of time with the Sullivan family.

 I met Tom, Alex's father at an Avalanche game, and we began to hang out.  They would often invite me to their home for dinner and to watch a game with the family.   I went on several trips to Las Vegas with Tom and other Sullivan family friends. We would also go to games, Broncos, Avalanche, and Rockies, together with Alex, as well as autograph hunting outside of practices.  When the MLB all-star game was in Colorado in 1998, Alex and I went downtown early in the morning to the fan-fest seeking autographs and collectibles, and then met up with his father after work to enjoy the rest of the All Star festivities.

The one thing I remember most about Alex was his love for everyone.  He could make friends with anyone and would make it easier for us to feel welcome in any situation because of his outgoing nature.  He was full of energy and loved his sports.

I knew three people in the theater next door that were able to escape without injury, but when I saw the picture below of Tom holding Alex's photo plastered across the web, my heart truly began to ache for everyone involved.  I have not heard of anyone else I know being at the theater or hurt, and I pray that I do not.


I will reach out to the family after they have had time to heal and offer my deepest condolences and sympathies, but for now, I hope everyone, especially the press, honors their request for privacy and gives them time to mourn and grieve.  I cannot imaging the pain they must be going through, and I ask that you keep the Sullivan family in your prayers.  I don't have any pictures of Alex on my computer, they are probably in photo albums in my parent's basement, but I did put a couple pictures of Tom and I below.  One was taken by Alex during some hockey playoffs while we were waiting to go the game, and the other is with some of the San Francisco 49'ers cheerleaders at a Super Bowl party in Vegas.  No laughing or funny comments about how young or silly I look please ;).  Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts during this time.  Please make sure the victims are remembered as well, even more than the shooter.  Thank you.




1 comment:

  1. Chris -- My heart aches for Alex' family and for you. Waking up that day to the news was so hard, and then to find out that you had such a personal connection made it that much more difficult. I still think about it every day. Praying still!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete