Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fairy Godparents

Every year on Easter Sunday, Pastor Hernandez holds a service that includes baptisms and confirmations for all of his mission sites at Santisima Trinidad. This year, like last year, Erin and I went to enjoy the service and meet the new members. This year had a bit of a twist though. One young girl who was going to receive her first communion was in tears at the beginning of the service because either her padrinos (godparents, or sponsors), were not there, or she did not have any, so her mother came up to Erin and I and asked us if we would stand up for her. I don't really know this girl, but like Jesus said in Mark 9, "whoever welcomes one of these children in my name, welcomes me", so we stood up for her at her first communion. The tears turned into to smiles as she realized that there were some people who would stand for her, and the service and events turned out beautiful. Off to Wisconsin/Chicago tomorrow.

It took Erin a long time to get her to look at the camera.

After she was baptized

Those baptized ranged in age from infant to adults

I baptize you...

Some were even baptized and confirmed in the same day.

Ruby getting ready for her first communion. She must have been unprepared, because she seemed to choke a little, but made it through.

More first communicants

Monica

Erin and I with Julia.

Erin, Pepe, Monica and I, not really looking at the right camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment